GOAL 15: LIFE ON LAND
"PROTECT, RESTORE AND PROMOTE SUSTAINABLE USE OF TERRESTRIAL ECOSYSTEMS, MANAGE FORESTS SUSTAINABLY, COMBAT DESERTIFICATION, END AND REVERSE LAND DEGRADATION AND HALT BIODIVERSITY LOSS."
Intact ecosystems are the basis for life on Earth and sustainable development. The future requires concepts that reconcile social and economic development with protecting and sustainably using natural resources like soils and forests and ensuring biodiversity.
What’s our objective?
Our products are made for using outdoors, which is why maintaining biodiversity is important to us. By deliberately choosing certain materials, guaranteeing environmentally friendly manufacturing, processing and shipping in our value chain, we can help protect life on land.
How do we contribute?
- Our products are not just exceptionally practical and functional, but also manufactured with a focus on durability and eco-friendliness.
- Where it’s in our power to do so, we ensure that all components used in the production of our backpacks are vegan.
- All our down sleeping bags are made using RDS-certified down since 2015 and carry bluesign® certification too.
- As a member of the European Outdoor Conservation Association (EOCA), we support select nature conservation projects worldwide. We want to forge ahead with this commitment and nominate at least one of our own projects for association support and implement it if selected.
- 10% of revenue from the sale of the deuter Infiniti series, an upcycled collection made using fabric remnants from past collections, goes to the 1% for the Planet organization. This organization supports the work of carefully selected partners in six core environmental areas: Climate, land, water, food, wildlife and pollution.
- We’re also reviving the successful deuter dirtbag concept. The little bag has already encouraged lots of people to pick up any waste they find, or have dropped themselves on mountain treks, and take it back home with them.
- As part of the bluesign® partnership, we work with our suppliers and manufacturers to create more resource-efficient and environmentally friendly products and production processes.
- We also strive to make improvements further down the supply chain. This is where the consumption of energy and chemicals is highest. We help our suppliers to manage chemicals so that the environment, wastewater and climate are not polluted unnecessarily. Training courses, flyers and certification (e.g. bluesign®) help to put our message across.
- And not just products. The packaging we use should also be as sustainable as possible. Which is why we’re working on material-saving and recyclable alternatives to our current packaging.
For more details about the steps we’ve taken: Climate Protection, Environmental Protection.